Teutonic Order Castle in Morąg Add to route
(0 votes)
Morąg
Warmia Masuria province
The castle was built around 1280 by the Teutonic Knights on a cape at Morag Lake. From the west and south side, the castle was defended by the waters of the lake, while from the other two sides on have dug a moat. In the early years of its existence it was the seat of the Teutonic Order prosecutor. The castle was built around 1280 by the Teutonic Knights on a cape at Morag Lake. From the west and south side , the castle was defended by the waters of the lake, while from the other two sides on have dug a moat. In the early years of its existence it was the seat of the Teutonic Order prosecutor. In the southeast there was a residential building (house of the castle) with basements, which had to the north and west side adjacent defensive walls, inside of which a courtyard emerged. The entrance to the castle leads from the north. The whole castle was surrounded by second walls and in their corner on the south side there was a square tower, while at the northwest corner - a tower guarding the gate passage. Thus, the entire entrance to the castle leads from the west corner along the outer and inner walls, the so called outer ward, around the castle to the gate in the northern part. The stronghold was surrounded by a wide and deep moat. In 1331 the foundation was expanded and then it became the seat of the mayor of the Teutonic Knights. The works lasted for fifty years. To the existing building on added two housing wings on the sides, so that the whole residential establishment had the shape of a"U" letter. On increased the defensive capability of the castle by building in the eastern corner the so called Tower of last defense. At the bottom it had the shape of a circle and getting higher – of an octagon. Still in 1521 the castle hosted the Great Master Albrecht Hohenzollern. After the secularization of the Teutonic Order, the castle in Morag became the seat of the Prefect. Prefect of the castle became Peter zu Dohna who, along with many goods in the area of Morag also received the castle Morąg in 70-year lease. The successor of Albrecht - George Frederick carried out a redevelopment of the castle in 1584. The works were directed by the court architect of the Prince - Blasius Berwart. The present castle is the north-west wing in Renaissance style; partially exposed and overbuild foundations of all medieval buildings, defensive walls as well as reconstructed first two floors of towers and fragments of Gothic walls with the old entrance gate, as well as the moat from XIII century, reconstructed on its entire length.