Knights Castle in Sobków Add to route
(0 votes)
ul. Sobka 15
28-305 Sobków Jędrzejów
Świętokrzyskie Mountains (Holy Cross Mountains)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.zameksobkow.pl
Zamek Rycerski w Sobkowie
Zamek Rycerski w Sobkowie
Sobkow was founded in 1563 by Stanislaw Sobek from Sulejow, who at that time was a Bielecki Castellan, Małogowski governor and Great Treasurer of the Crown. Later the castle belonged to Drohojowski Family, Wielopolski Family, Sarbiewski Family, Myszkowski Family and since 1725 to Szaniawski Family. In its history, the castle was repeatedly destroyed and completely burnt during combat in 1915. Sobkow lost its civic rights in 1869. The place where we are was a manor house complex, situated on the banks of Nida River. The complex contains fortifications built between 1560 and 1570 by Stanislaw Sobek, inside which there are ruins of a classical palace raised by the Szaniawski Family around year 1770. At the beginnings, the fortification was surrounded by a defensive wall with four towers in the corners. Until today, we still can see residues of the wall and three towers covered with wooden roofs, as well as embrasures in the lower parts of the castle. The early-classical ruins of the castle with four Ionian columns in the middle section are turned with the front to the river. The south- eastern side elevation dated around 1800 contains a break with bricked up arcades, crowned with a semicircular tympanum, accommodating a scagliola cartouche with Cornucopias, garlands and the initials of Stanisław Szaniawski - carver of the Crown and his wife Anna from the Kluszewski Family. The castle has been partially renovated; the fortification houses now guest rooms and the restaurant „Pod zakutym łbem”